Dubuque Dentist, Dr. Ted Murray, honored with Lifelong Learning and Service Recognition Award
This past weekend at the AGD Annual Meeting in New Orleans, Dubuque Dentist Dr. Ted Murray, was recognized with an achievement that less than 1% of AGD dentists are awarded. The Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) is a professional dental association of more than 40,000 general dentists. The AGD is dedicated to the advancement of dentistry and oral health through continuing education and advocacy.
Dr. Ted Murray received the Lifelong Learning and Service Recognition (LLSR) Award at the convocation ceremony. In order to receive the LLSR award, the recipient has to have earned Mastership status in the Academy. Dr. Murray earned his Mastership in 1995. Masters have completed over 1,000 hours of continuing education in 16 disciplines of general dentistry. Less than 2% of general dentists have received the Mastership award.
LLSR recipients continue to demonstrate their commitment beyond the Mastership Award by completing a minimum of 500 hours of continuing education and accumulating 100 service points in dental related community service and service to organized dentistry. Only 336 of the AGD’s 40,000+ members have received this prestigious award as of 2018.
Just as the name of the LLSR award explains, Dr. Ted Murray uses his talents and skills as a dentist in many ways outside of his dental office. Dr. Ted Murray has been a lifelong learner through his commitment to over 1,600 hours of continuing education. Throughout his career, he has sought out the best continuing education in order to provide exceptional dental care to his patients.
He has given back to the his profession through service. He has volunteered his services in countless ways: he has provided free dental care to those in need, has been a mentor to many other dentists, has participated in organized dentistry, has helped to teach dental courses, and has held leadership positions on several dental committees.
His LLSR award service to dentistry includes the following areas after his 1995 MAGD award:
- University of Iowa Dental Alumni Board, 8 years of service
- Dental Lifeline Network's Donated Dental Services: donating free dental work to a disabled and mentally compromised patient
- Iowa Mission of Mercy: volunteer work hours at a free dental clinic, in the triage department
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, Nominating and Leadership Development Committee
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, Accreditation Examiner
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, mentor for dentists working towards accreditation
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, speaker host volunteer at the AACD Annual Meetings
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, assistant in the Digital Photography Workshop course
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, published article 2007 on a Clinical Case Report
- American Academy of General Dentistry, board member 2005-2007 and 2010-2013
- American Academy of General Dentistry, vice president 2007-2008
- American Academy of General Dentistry, president-elect 2008-2009
- American Academy of General Dentistry, president 2009-2010
- American Academy of General Dentistry, immediate past president 2010-2011
- American Academy of General Dentistry, 2010 CE program Review of Cosmetic Cases
Dr. Ted Murray has also served as president of both the Dubuque District and Dubuque County Dental Societies. He graduated from the University of Iowa College of Dentistry in 1977, completed a 1 year General Practice Residency at the Iowa Veterans Hospital, and began private practice in Dubuque in 1978. He currently practices with his two daughters, Dr. Kristen Berning and Dr. Alexia Oetken, at Exceptional Dentistry, 4200 Asbury Rd, Dubuque, IA 52002.
Exceptional Dentistry provides family, cosmetic, tooth whitening, implant, and sedation dental care at 4200 Asbury Road, Dubuque, IA 52002 and serves the Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Dyersville, Dubuque, IA and Galena, IL, Prairie du Chien, WI and Platteville, WI areas. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Ted Murray or Dr. Kristen Berning, or Dr. Alexia Oetken please call or TEXT us at 563-556-2711 or contact us online. Follow us on Facebook .