In our Dubuque dental office, Dr. Ted Murray and Dr. Kristen Berning and the Exceptional Dentistry team offer nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas. This is a great option for patients with dental anxiety, a strong gag reflex, and for young children having dental work for the first time. Almost anyone who wants to relax more during his or her appointment can use nitrous oxide or laughing gas for anxiety relief.
Nitrous Oxide Safety
Nitrous oxide is a blend of oxygen and nitrous oxide. In our Dubuque dental office, we use the Safe Sedate Nitrous Oxide system. The gas is delivered through a mask placed comfortably over the nose. The patient then relaxes, breathes normally through the nose, and the dental procedure takes place. Nitrous oxide is a very safe and effective treatment for both children and adults. While you wear the mask you feel calm and unconcerned. At the end of the appointment, there is an oxygen flush and the nitroius oxide leaves your system quickly. The mask is removed and recovery is immediate.
Types of appointments to use nitrous oxide or laughing gas
- restorative appointments (crowns, fillings, root canals)
- extraction or oral surgery appointments
- professional cleaning appointments with the hygienist
- during radiographs or dental impressions for patients with a strong gag reflex
Contraindications for using nitrous oxide
There are indications where nitrous oxide is not recommended:
- For patients with very high dental fear, they may be better served using oral sedation. This will allow the patient to experience a deeper level of sedation with little to no memory of the appointment.
- Certain heart, lung , or other systemic conditions. Our dentists will review your health history with you to determine if you can use nitrous oxide.
- Inability to breathe through the nose or claustrophobia
Exceptional Dentistry provides complete family, cosmetic, tooth whitening, implant, orthodontic, and sedation dental care at 4200 Asbury Road, Dubuque, IA 52002 and serves the Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Dubuque, IA and Galena, IL areas. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Ted Murray or Dr. Kristen Berning, please call 563-556-2711 or contact us online.